Monday, October 8, 2012

Coffee Yogurt Gelatin

I can't claim I was successful, but it was far from a failure. I did make a reasonably good coffee and yogurt gelatin yesterday. I had some for dessert today and it was pretty good. Look:

I do like the little individual serving cups

I used instant coffee.

I'm not a coffee purist. I do drink instant every morning with breakfast. But at such times I care only for the caffeine and convenience, not the flavor. At any other time I have fresh-brewed.

The problem is that the brewed coffee does not mix with yogurt. I mean if you let the mixture seat for any amount of time, it will separate. The coffee goes tot he top and the yogurt to the bottom. So what I did was get drinking yogurt, like this:


And the instant did dissolve in it....

Oh well. Here's the recipe:

2 Bottles drinking yogurt (225 gr. each) low-fat
1/2-1/3 Cup of skim milk (I mean fill it halfway between the 1/2 and 1/3 mark)
2-3 Teaspoons instant coffee
1/2 Teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
1 Packet flavorless gelatin (7 gr.)

The yogurt is sweetened with Splenda, so I didn't add any extra sweetener

The drinking yogurt is a very thick fluid, but it flows reasonably well. Still, you'll have to hold the bottle upside down over the pot and shake it to get most of it out.

So, in a small pot pour both bottle of yogurt. Add the coffee, milk and vanilla extract and stir until it assumes a coffee and cream color. You will see some bits of undissolved coffee. This is normal. Turn on the heat on medium. Stir from time to time, and you should see the rest of the coffee dissolve. When it begins to bubble around the edges, add the gelatin.

Now, there are at least two kinds of flavorless gelatin. One you just add to the mix, but it requires you to boil what you're making,. The other you moisten with some of the mix in a container and then heat it (according to the directions). This second type dissolves and mixes well at lower temperatures, and it's the kind I used.

Stir the gelatin in well and then turn the flame off. Pour into individual cups or a mold, let it cool to room temperature, and then place in the fridge until it sets.

I used more liquid than you should for 7 gr. of gelatin. That was on purpose, in order to get a creamier, semi-solid texture. If pressed, I'd describe it like a very thick mousse. That, at least, came out exactlya s I intended.

So I'll be looking for ways to incorporate brewed coffee. That means finding an emulsifier, I guess. Any ideas are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews