Sunday, August 19, 2012

Coffe and Yogurt Verdict

At some local Japanese restaurants there's a desert consisting of coffee gelatin and vanilla ice cream. As a coffee aficionada, I was intrigued by the idea of coffee gelatin deserts. I've tried over the years a few odd mixtures to get the right one, but mostly I've produced interesting failures.

The last one consisted of mixing plain, non-fat yogurt with coffee. They don't mix well at all, so when you let the mix set the coffee tends to separate. You're left with a layer of rather bitter coffee on top, and a too-sweet mix of yogurt with a very subtle coffee taste on the bottom.

On the other hand, a few weeks ago at the office I took the spoon I'd just used to stir my coffee and used it to eat a little cottage cheese. The flavor blend was rather nice. So I thought they'd go well together as a gelatin.

Well, more or less. I took one cup of double-strong coffee (that's two measuring scoops of ground coffee brewed with one cup of hot water), and a cup of cottage cheese and low-fat milk (the milk pretty much just filled in the empty spaces left by the lumpy cheese in the cup), and liquefied them in the blender. Pour in a saucepan, add flavorless gelatin, bring to a slow boil stirring on occasion. The result was pleasing as far as flavor, but wrong in texture. I think I need either more coffee or more cheese to get the creamier texture I want. We'll see.

My very first recipe was one cup of double strong coffee plus one cup of low-fat evaporated milk and gelatin. It works as well as the cottage cheese-coffee combo above.

So I'm still looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews